Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Washington Post's Attempt at Identity Politics: Zzzzzzzz.

Oy vey, identity politics. Now, don't get me wrong: I love cultural theory and critiquing the hegemonic discourse of the day, but at least have an interesting or relevant point to make.

Today's Washington Post Magazine cover story is called "Fade to Blonde," about a "hyper-ethnically aware" Latina changing her hair color from jet black to some quasi-blonde (not quite blonde, not quite orange). Do blondes really have more fun? How will my empowered/fierce/brown-and-proud Latino friends from Columbia University react? Tee-hee, such scandal!

C'mon now. It's all so . . . fifteen years ago.

Someone at the Washington Post should have told her that the entire thesis is trite.

So, basically: most Latina women want to look different, but oftentimes come off too orange, or unkempt. A precious few want to actually "pass" as European. Thanks for the update.

Really, this article sucked, and now I will never see those thirty minutes ever again.

By the way, I wanted to put in a picture of what the author considered cheesy blonde Latinas, but typing in "blonde Latinas" in Google Images gave me results which I couldn't possibly upload to my wholesome blog. Let me just say this: the carpet doesn't match the drapes.

No comments: